Friday, February 18, 2005

Grateful...

Surprisingly, my last blog entry had 3 comments posted in response, and I was so touched by each one. First, it was a genuine surprise to realize that my blog is being read by more than just myself ,my darling brother Richard and dearest Peter, my husband. Secondly, thank you Gloria, for your kind comments about Barter and how you miss Peter and me being there. Words cannot convey the affection and admiration I have for Barter Theatre, Rick Rose, Amanda Aldridge, and all the Staff and Tech Staff and actors there. They are in my heart every single day I am away from them. An extraordinary group of human beings, working diligently to contribute to the world around them. Diverse, lively, demanding, perfectionist, crotchety ( and I mean that in the most wonderful way), unique, deeply human, generous people, with a serious committment to the theatre and all the arts that represent it. So, Gloria, thank you for keeping us in your heart there. Ann B.J.....well,,,,we shared London, so of course we will continue to share life the same way we did those fierce walks on the streets of the UK...remember the Forced March that cold and windy night? And the cemetery walk for ghosties? I value you so deeply. And the best part about sharing the "miasma" I was in , is that love came pouring out toward me to help soothe the pains....how wonderful. And of course, today I feel so good...I worked last night for several hours with my friend and amazing actress Eliza Ventura on a new play we are presenting a reading of on March 7th for the CAP 21 Monday Night Reading Series: BERGIN PINES, by Tony DiMurro...powerful, raw and affecting, the story of a woman coming to grips with a family secret and the the crime she committed as a result of it...we had such a good time working together...just the two of us holed up in a room at the CAP 21 Studios, doing what we love to do most: explicating a script and giving life to it. Eliza is going to be amazingly strong and good in this piece, the sort of kamakazi acting i associate with truly large spirits who have given their creative energies to the art form I love best...she is terrific and will be terrifyingly moving as she takes us on this journey. I feel privileged to be "directing", though in this case, it's more like a guided tour we are taking each other on...Ann: sort of like that Edinburgh graveyard at night...a less-than-surefooted trek through dark and scary places...though the technique and stamina Eliza is exhibiting, even in these early stages of this particular work, is extremely sure and trustworthy...she is allowing the terrified Linda, the character in the piece, to stumble and fall all she needs to, and that takes great trust in one's own acting "chops"...we had fun.And of course, as ever, work cures all my ills, in more ways than I can ever describe. Especially the sort of work I am most fond of doing: serious work on new plays. Also, as Board Member of CAP 21, I am helping decorate the Lobby for the 3rd Year production of GRAND HOTEL coming up next week, as well as selling t-shirts in the Lobby to help raise some extra money...we'll see how that goes..a new sort of sales effort for this company...We saw Ed Dixon in UNDER THE BRIDGE the other evening...Ed, an old and valued friend , was lovely in it,sang like a deep-throated angel, and was so funny and sad at the same time...audiences adored him. And Kathy Lee Gifford's lyrics and book did not deserve the roasting the various reviews gave...it was a good, game effort. And we are very glad we saw it. Ed and I hugged for what seemed like hours...we've not seen each other in several years and seeing him made me feel like I was truly home again. Between Ed and dear Drew Eshelman (my two Broadway "Thernardiers"), I feel warm and, as I said, HOME. Bye for now. Love.

Comments:
Hmmm...Ed Dixon looks a little bit like daddy - especially the nose. Glad you're feeling better. Brother Richard.
 
As I meet friends for lunch, or go to supper club, I am continually asked, "How are Peter and Evalyn? We can't believe they won't be in any shows this year! How can they possibly be replaced?" One gentleman said to me, "I believe Peter is the finest all- around talent we have had at the Barter in many, many years- we will suffer without both of them." It is a sentiment shared by all... Of course, we live in hope that they will return to us someday. Meanwhile, we are a full house this weekend- and a special treat for me is the arrival this evening of Silas House. He is a gifted southern writer who is getting quite a bit of recognition. He'll be speaking at the library this afternoon, followed by a reception at our Inn and then overnight in our Blue Ridge room! As an added bonus, Barbara Kingsolver will be here for the reception, too! Love this town... Got to get started on a big pot of cheddar potato soup for the gathering tonight. Evalyn- take care of yourself- no more "Forced Marches" in the Big City! xxxABJ
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?