Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Almost Heaven, New York City

On a day like this one, I almost do not miss living in the mountains of SW Virginia..(I said "almost")..because it is mild, sunny, clear, cool, and utterly beautiful..the sort of day that casts even this ungainly City in a girlish, sly-come-hither Springtime light! And since I have much to do in the Mid-town today, I am glad I have a lovely day in which to do it all. I shall take more busses than subways today! Voice - over audition at Howie Schwartz's, at 420 Lexington, an address i have not been to in years...he has been in the voice-over casting business for decades and it is good to know he is still there...then on to several more hours of rehearsal for BERGIN PINES, the one-woman piece I am directing Eliza V. in for the March 7th Monday Night Reading Series at CAP...the work on that has been very satisfying, as we scope out how to work together in such a limited number of hours on a difficult, complex play. We have divided it into 4 "chunks"...4 dramatic beats...though one could divide it easily into 3 times that amount.....but for now: 4....each around 8 pages long....and that includes the very dramatic reading of stage directions, which I feel is necessary in order to set the mood and tone of the Bergin Pines surroundings...Peter Y. will read those, which will give him an opportunity to scope the piece out in order to write music for it at a later date. Anyway: rehearsal for that later today...then back down to the little Lower East Side theater called the Connelly, where CAP 21's 3rd year kids are doing GRAND HOTEL...with dear Board Member Pearl Berman, we have taken the leads in setting up a Lobby Store (we made $120.00 last night!!!!never before done!) selling GRAND HOTEL t-shirts and signed posters....a lot of fun, really...and since Saturday is Parents Day at NYU, we should sell out everything by the end of that evening! Little victories...right? Dear Brian (thanks for the comment yesterday) I thought about you guys so much last night...you and Lori smiling, behind the Barter Gift Shop counter...me hanging out with you...i miss you too! And Chase: i love being part of your thoughts via the blog...keep me in the loop please..and bro Richard: let's talk about magazine writing! And continue the suicide analysis....a topic of complexity and provocation..even if we can, should we? Isn't all death suicide ,really? As Mr. S says: "Every day a little death"...talk to me friends!

Comments:
Evalyn! You're an expert at retail. You proved that at last year's Plum Alley Day! It seriously has been too long since I have seen you guys. I still have my E.B. shirt, but I haven't worn it since you left. I talked to Elizabeth McKnight today about the planning phase of this year's Cafe Cabaret Events...more on that later. Good luck!
Brian
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?